India (also known as Bhārat), officially the Republic of India, is the 2nd most populous country in the world, after China. India has a total area of 3,287,263 sq km. It is a country in South Asia and has 28 states. The country’s capital state is New Delhi.
The country has has nine union territories. Its official language is Hindi. It does not have any national language. The nationals or citizens of India are called Indians. The Indian currency is known as the Indian Rupee (INR). It has six bordering countries that include Pakistan, China, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, and Myanmar.
10 Facts about India
1. The name ‘India’ is derived from the river Indus. It is a valley around which people settled in earlier times.
2. India is the world’s oldest, largest and continuous civilization – the Indus Valley civilization.
3. India is also one of the largest democracies in the world.
4. India has the largest postal system in the world with more than 150,000 post offices, which is thrice the size of that of China.
5. India has more than 300,000 active mosques. This outnumbers any other country in the world, even the Muslim countries.
6. The second largest pool of engineers and scientists is from India.
7. India is the second largest English speaking country in the world – 125,226,449 numbers of English speakers.
8. India has the world’s largest Hindu population. Nearly 81% of its population identifies itself as Hindu. India is one of the three countries (other are Nepal and Mauritius) in the world where Hinduism is the majority.
9. Bollywood is the largest movie industry in terms of output, followed by Nollywood – the movie industry of Nigeria.
10. India is also the country in which the highest number of votes were cast for a national general election. In 2009, the country saw its 417 million people cast their votes in five phases to elect the 543 members of the 15th Lok Sabha.