People’s Republic of China is a country in East Asia. It has a total area of 9,596,960 square km. Beijing is its capital and Shanghai is its largest city.
Chinese is the official language of China. Renminbi (yuan; ¥) (CNY) is its official currency. Its land bordering countries are Russia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, North Korea, Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar, Laos, and Vietnam (thus, China has the most number of neighbors touching its borders).
10 Facts about China
1. However big it is, all of China uses one time zone, something that is not expected for a country that big.
2. For soccer or football fans, depending where you come from, this one will interest you. Historians believe that the Chinese invented this favorite sport for many in 1000 B.C.
3. For those history lovers who love knowing what the names of places mean, this one might be a nice fact for you. The word China is believed to have originated from Qin, which was the dynasty that ruled over the land from 221 B.C., to A.D. 1912.
4. For a linguist, this fact will be fascinating to you. The Chinese language is the longest language still in use in writing in the world.
5. China has the longest canal in the world. This canal is the Grand Canal of China.
6. The Chinese too have been to space. This happened on 27th September 2008 when the first Chinese named Zhi Zhigang walked in space.
7. The Chinese were the first to discover how blood circulates in the body in the 2nd century B.C. This is way long before the Europeans.
8. The Three Gorges Dam is the largest man-made dam in the world. It spans the Yangtze River.
9. The Chinese love red. This color to them symbolizes happiness, and that is why it is commonly used in their festivals and most functions expressing Chinese culture.
10. The Chinese also invented some math concepts. They started using the decimal system in 14th century B.C., 2,300 years before the Europeans.