Oman, officially the Sultanate of Oman, is the 139th most populous country in the world. Oman has a total area of 309,500 sq km. It is a country an Arab country situated in Southwest Asia, bordering the Arabian Sea, Gulf of Oman, and Persian Gulf, between Yemen and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) The country’s capital state is Muscat.
Arabic is the official language of Oman and Baluchi is also a popular language in the country. Oman’s currency is known as the Omani rial (OMR). In 2010, Oman was ranked as the most improved nation in the world over the preceding 40 years.
10 Facts about India
1. The sultan of Oman – Sultan Qaboos Bin Said–is the longest-serving ruler in the Middle East. Born on November 18, 1940, he is the person behind the modernization of Oman. He took control of the Sultanate of Oman in 1970 on July 23rd. And he is yet to name his successor.
2. Oman is also one of the oldest human-inhabited places on the planet. It is estimated that humans have been living in the country for at least 106,000 years.
3. Under the 1996 Constitution’s “Basic Law of the State,” Oman is an absolute Monarchy (Sultanate).
4. Oman produces a whopping 900,000 barrels of oil per day.
5. Want to save some on taxes? You may want to work in Oman. Because Oman does not levy income tax. However, a small amount from workers’ earnings are paid towards social security.
6. Birds from three continents–Asia, Europe and Africa–can be seen in Oman. Oman has been called ‘the best-kept secret in the world of birdwatching.’
7. Oldest independent state in the Arab world.
8. The Omani week ends on Friday. Omanis enjoy Thursdays and Fridays to their core. In the coming years, they are planning to shift their weekends to Friday and Saturday.
9. The grandest mosque in Oman – The Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque–was built from 300,000 tons of Indian sandstone. The construction of the mosque took six years and four months to complete. It is located in Muscat.
10. A component of the most valuable perfume in the world–Amouage–is produced and traded in Oman. It is known as Frankincense, and is available in its purest form for purchase for OMR 50 per bag.